Sunday, August 5, 2007

Weekend Update

I'm sitting in the kitchen enjoying a tasty snack of cheese & crackers & prune juice, waiting for Dan to get home from work.

Not much going on the past few days. I did manage to catch up with my doctor who doesn't like to give prescriptions for sleep aids (which is good because I really don't want to rely on one) & suggested I look into alternative methods & figure out why I can't sleep. Sooooo....same old stuff, I guess.

I got me some kickin' new glasses from ye old Lens Crafters. I'm enjoying my improved vision & it feels good to scratch that off my list.

On Wednesday evening after work I volunteered for a salvaged building materials warehouse. I'd been wanting to check the place out for a while because: 1. it helps keep existing STUFF (cabinets, doors, lumber, etc.) out of landfills. 2. it's a much less expensive way to build. 3. who doesn't like a little organized dumpster diving??? Anyway, I was looking forward to helping out a local non-profit, exploring a possible avenue for future employment & maybe meeting some people (possible friends) w/ similar interests. I sorted a pallet of wrenches with a handful of other people for 2 hours. I felt useful, in a way. I got to walk around & look at all the great stuff (salvaged pocket doors & other amazing finds) & I met some random people. It wasn't an amazing experience but I think it could improve over time & in cooler temperatures - & I slept all night afterwards. Think I'll probably go back again.

Hm... at work, we've been building some cabinets & face frames for my boss's neighbor's kitchen. We'll be framing the concrete countertops tomorrow & pouring Tuesday. Hope that goes smoothly. I really don't enjoy these kinds of jobs - aesthetic improvements. Just doesn't feel good to me. I just don't care. Somehow it's different than our last job, which was the renovation of my boss's sister's place. I didn't care about that job either for a long time. But at some point, we really started to feel like a team united in our efforts to finish this house. It was good, for a while. I was sleeping like a baby, showing up on time (maybe even a little early), enjoying my work & looking forward to it - even though we worked some 13 hour days. Being part of a team seems crucial. (Also, their house was in an old suburban neighborhood that was quiet & filled w/ grass, trees, friendly neighbors & CHIPMUNKS! yeah, no rats. So we enjoyed our lunch breaks sprawled out on lucious green grass under beautiful shade trees & we listened to birds chirping. I really miss grass...)

Dan & I watched Harold & Maude last night. Several people have raved about it, so I decided to check it out. It was bizarre & funny. My favorite part was when this girl from a computer dating service, Sunshine, comes to meet Harold. She's following him through the house in rediculously tall boots & slips as she turns the corner. I laughed so hard. It had to be accidental but they didn't cut it. She even let out an 'Oops' as she slipped. It was America's Funniest Videos funny. (about AFV: Laughing is good for you & sometimes a person can really benefit from a weekly dose of people being rediculous. & you can get it from netflicks.)

This weekend has been filled with some great yoga. I sweated my butt off this morning. It was actually pretty gross. I'm learning a lot from each of the different teachers.

I also got to talk w/ my little brother yesterday & wish him a happy 27th birthday. Sometimes I still think he's 16. Sounds like he's doing really well & that makes me happy.

& now some photos I took a few Sundays ago on my walk to the Downtown Farmer's Market (oops, other photos ended up elsewhere in the post):

My good friend, Katie & her sister, Anna, working at the Market.


No comments: